|Plant Name||Atlantic White Cedar|
|Scientific name||Chamaecyparis thyoides|
|Location||Thicket (Bike Path)|
|Identifying Characteristics||Green or green-blue leaves; Arranged opposite decussate pairs|
- Atlantic White Cedar is an evergreen coniferous tree with feathery foliage that is moderately flattened.
- The color is green to glaucous green-blue.
- The leaves are 2-4mm and scale like in appearance.
- The leaves are arranged in an opposite decussate pairs.
- The seed cones are 4-9mm in diameter and mature 5-7 months after pollination.
- The pollen cones are brown or purple and release their pollen in the spring.
- Atlantic White Cedar is a long-lived tree. Some trees are reported to have reached 1,000 years in age. (US Forest Service)
- The wood endures moisture indefinitely.
- Atlantic White Cedar wood us used for fence-posts, ties and shingles.
830 total views, 1 views today