|Common Name(s)||Shortleaf Pine|
|Scientific Name||Pinus echinata|
|Location/Vegetative Zone||Thicket (Bike Path)|
|Identifying Characteristics||Grows between 65 and 100 feet in height|
- Plant is yellow or green in color.
- Needle-like leaves comes in groups of 2 or 3, each reaching 7-11 cm in length.
- Produces pine cones that are red or brown in color.
- Used for wood pulp, lumber and plywood veneer.
- May form hybrids with other trees, such as the loblolly pine (P. taeda), pitch pine (P. rigida), pond pine (P. serotina) and spruce pine (P. glabra)
1,193 total views, 1 views today