|Plant Name||Scrub Pine|
|Scientific name||Pinus virginiana|
|Location||Thicket (Bike Path)|
|Identifying Characteristics||30 to 60 feet in height when full-grown|
- Evergreen needles, 1.5 to 3 inches long.
- From each needle emerges two yellowish needles.
- Simple leaf type.
- Flowers are pine cones.
- Male flower is cylindrical and yellow, female flower is curved and yellow or red.
- Blooms in the fall.
- Some trees have twisted trunks.
- Commonly used for Christmas trees.
- Provides wood pulp and lumber.
- Attracts various bird species.
- Has been used historically to treat worms, diarrhea, rheumatism, colds, tuberculosis, gout and measles.
- May be used in different situations as a stimulant or a sedative.
678 total views, 1 views today