|Scientific name||Sassafras albidum|
|Identifying Characteristics||A medium sized deciduous shrub tree|
- A medium sized deciduous tree that can grow up to 60-80 feet tall.
- Native to the Eastern United States.
- Safrole formerly used to flavor root beer
- Banned by FDA because of carcinogenic potential
- Roots steeped to make tea
- Lewaves and pith, dried and powdered, used as thickener in soup
- Safrole oil from roots and wood used to make fragrances
“Sassafras”. Drugs. Wolters Klewer Health. 9 August 2017. Web.
314 total views, 1 views today