|Common Name(s)||Saltmarsh Cordgrass|
|Scientific Name||Spartina alterniflora|
|Location/Vegetative Zone||Salt marsh|
|Flowering Period||August, also July-September|
|Identifying Characteristics||Pound plentifully in salt marshes; found in tall or short varieties; 4-6 ft high with flowers|
- Tall version found in areas of tidal flooding
- Short form in higher levels of marsh
- Tall form has flowering head
- Known for hardiness, tolerates salt water inundation
- Important for fauna, incl. blue crab
- Nursery for finfish
- Buffers shoreline erosion
“Smooth Cordgrass Spartina alterniflora“. Chesapeake Bay Program. Web.
“Spartina alterniflora Loisel. smooth cordgrass”. Plants. USDA NRCS. Web.
855 total views, 1 views today